Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hey Brandi

Welcome to the new blog. Two days ago I realized I really hadn't been up to much lately. Work was a bit slow. I decided to take a trip to Cambodia and Thailand. I leave a week from tomorrow.

I will try to keep this Weblog going for friends, family and anybody.

I'm interested in suggestions related to the following things:
-where to go
-where to stay
-where to eat
-foods to try
-things to do
-things to take
-things to watch out for
-things to look for
-things to photograph
-people to meet
-how to backup RAW photos to the internet

The trip will have an emphasis on photography. If all the camera gear gets stolen, I'll come up with a new emphasis for the trip. My past travels have generally had an emphasis on food and that should hold true here. Usually my hunger causes me to forget to photograph the food, but I'll make an honest attempt to do so before gobbling it.

I suppose I'll try to put up a photo or two in each post. I haven't been to Southeast Asia yet, so here's a couple other pictures.

Here's a shot of my sister, Natalie, with her newly gotten Double Masters diploma (Social Work and Public Health) from Columbia. Congratulations there. f/5.6; 1/50s; ISO800.






Here's a shot of the author one night in the cold winter of '09. f/5.6; 1/160s; ISO200











Stay tuned for
-packing list
-photo gear packing list
-maps

Please make yourself a 'follower' of the blog and PLEASE POST COMMENTS. Say hello, tell me what's going with you, tell a joke. Stand clear.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

Aloha MAX. So honored to be your first (and obviously most important) blog follower! Can't wait to stalk you along your journey. Have fun. Take lots of pictures. Eat tiger penis. But most importantly, be safe.

Perati said...

Hi, I live in Thailand. What to photograph in Thailand really depends on you because there are a lot to photography in Thailand.

I guess I can give you some ideas but fiest tell me
Where do you plan to go in Thailand?
How long will you be staying?
What do you expect? urban landscape, nature, people, temples, beaches, etc?

Hope you will enjoy Thailand

Max said...

@Perati
Thanks for the note. I'm interested in all the things you mentioned except beaches. I would especially like to meet local people of interest and get to know them and learn about what they do and photograph them. I would like to meet people who commit selfless acts in an attempt to benefit the community in some way.
I would like to see some of the lesser traveled temples. My schedule is not determined completely. My flights are to and from Bangkok but I plan to spend much of the time in between in and around Siem Reap, Cambodia. I would guess about a week in Bangkok upon arrival in March and another week before departure in May. So I probably won't venture more than a few hours from Bangkok in any direction. Eventually I will cross into Cambodia at the Aranyaprathet/Poipet border crossing.
Thanks for any tips you can offer.

Max

Perati said...

Hi Max, here are my quick tips.
- For urban landscape:
Try a view from the top at Bai Yok 2 tower (the tallest building in Thailand). You may go to the observation deck on the 77th floor and a revolving view point on the 84th floor. The ticket cost less than 200 baht, but you’ll get free access to the 77th and 84th floor if you have a meal here. A buffet on the 76th and 78th floor costs around 500 baht. Here is the link http://www.baiyokehotel.com/.

- For people:
Try China town (or Yaowarat in Thai), Pub Pla Chai (very close to China town). You’ll find Chinese-Thai people here. ..Also Chinese temples with local market.

Go to the Grand Palace. I know you want to go to the less crowded temple, but this one worth checking out. Then walk around the area. Those areas are the old (and reserved)city. You’ll find a lot of old building here.

Khao Sarn Road is also very close to the Grand Palace. It’s a famous place for foreigners, especially the backpackers. …nothing much going on during the day but recommended at night.

You can take also a boat trip. The old Bangkokian used Chao Pra Ya river as a main transportation route. Thus, many old buildings were built facing the river, not the roads which were built later. The pier called Ta Pra Chan Pier is very close to the Grand Palace.

Try Silom Road and Soi Cow Boy located on Asok road for night life. Nothing is interesting for me, but I always see a lot of foreigners here.

Pha Hu Rat is the biggest Indian community in Bangkok….if you are interested.

For temple,
I would suggest you go to a province called “Ayudhaya”- an old capital city of Thailand. There are a lot of temples here within a short distance. They are not crowded also. Unfortunately, many of them are wrecks as a result with Burma hundreds years ago. Ayudhaya is about 3 hours away from Bangkok (by car). I’m not sure about the public transportation because I usually drive there. But, I’m sure you can make a one-day trip to Ayudhaya. A sunset shot with silhouetted temple wreck would be nice ;D

That’s all I can think off right now….hope this help!!!