Friday, April 17, 2009

Welcome to India

Made it to India. Let's just do photos.

We are, indeed, put up at the 5-star Taj Palace. Ma, is this something you might be interested in?

View from the room.

I'm here, in India, as in this photo, with my friend Kate from New York City.

I put this outfit together for a few rupees. Not shown are the cotton/linen tights/pants. The shirt(khurta, I think) goes to around my knees. Also not shown are the horrible sandals which look cool but feel awful and have no prospects for becoming more comfortable.

Pragya and Shirish are getting married. First shot is Pragya looking up toward Shirish during her lengthy henna session. Second shot is Shirish, who I haven't spent much time with, but he seems to be an awesome dude.


This is quite a wedding. No expense that I can think of has been spared. Yesterday, engagement ceremonies and dinner happened in two massive temporary structures erected just for the event on the Bhartia estate in Delhi. One of the services they hired was a photo/video team flown in from Calcutta consisting of 7 videographers, 6 photographers and an army of assistants.

For a while, I thought I had exclusive rights to the Mendi, the henna tattoo ceremony for the bride and others. This was a special event I enjoyed very much. 6 or 7 ladies were on hand to make tattoos on all the girls (and my right bicep). Eventually, a photo and video guy from the big team showed up. The photographer was a friendly guy who was not shy about taking my camera from me, looking through my pictures and then taking pictures with it.

I took these ones.

Here's the white girls with their new boyfriends.

Gotta go folks. Lunch is in 3 minutes and a full day of events will follow. Today is the culmination.

Happy Passover.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow. How do we get invited to one of these things? glad you finally made it. dad