Monday, March 23, 2009

Q & A

Here's the answers to a few questions that I've received:

Am I used to the money?
Yes, it was quite easy. 35 baht to a US dollar. For you ma, 100 baht is about $3. Unlike Canada, bills come as low as 20 baht. Coins are 1,5, and 10 with a very rare 2 baht. 1,5, and 10 are easily distinguished.

Apparently in Cambodia, US dollars are used. For change smaller than a buck, you got Cambodian Riel. But you get a bad deal when you go back and spend those. I'll work it out.

Am I used to cars driving on the other side of the street?
Sure, it's fine for driving or being a passenger, but where it continues to be quite confusing is in crossing the street. Several times, while trying to figure who is coming from where, I've missed my chance. As well, to have a motorbike buzzing down the edge of the wrong side of the street is not unheard of. So generally if looks clear, I go for it, keeping my head on a high speed swivel. This was all hardest in Bangkok.

Did I really get zapped?
Yes. I don't know why this happens to me a lot in other countries. It happened in the shower in Costa Rica. You just sorta want to keep your hand away from the computer box as much as possible.

Any bites or injuries?
Two nights ago, I was sitting on the bungalow parch talking with a friend, and a beetle the size of a twinkie came out of the sky, hit me in the back and landed on the floor injured. That was a little nervy. I slipped on a hill of bamboo on the jungle trek and gashed my palm about an inch long through the upper vertical line. Cut my leg, too. Both healed fine. There are a lot of mosquitos, but they are almost completely unseen. Nothing, nothing, nothing, then you have a bug bite and no mozzie was ever detected. I just don't itch them and they go away. I'll start on Malaria pills for Cambodia in a couple days. Last night, I sleepily induced a really nasty cramp in my calf that stayed for way too long.

Was I kidnapped by pirates?
No I was not, but I have now, on this trip, hung out with or met people from 20 different countries. I don't have the list but here's what I remember. USA, Thailand, Korea, Japan, Canada, Ecuador, Brazil, El Salvador, Spain, England, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Czech, Estonia, Belgium, Italy, Australia.

How far is India?
My flights between Bangkok and India are 4-5 hours. April 11-19(I think) in a 5-star hotel in New Delhi for Pragya's wedding.

Did I get new flip=flops?
Yes, I got a pair that have been very servicable for 30 Baht, like 87 cents. Somewhat cheaper than the $45 pair of Rainbow brand flip flops I like to wear at home.

_____________________

Still relaxed on Ko Lanta. I got a motorbike for yesterday and today and it's been very nice. I had a brilliant fresh caught tuna last night.

Great photo shoot last night with a cool Rasta guy I met. There's a big culture of Thai Rastas. Shot my friend Quang, shown here. I wanted to recreate a noteworthy photo of Bob Marley and he obliged. We did a couple other ideas as well. He works at Chocolate Bar, which is the place to go on Ko Lanta.

Couple more nights here and then some heavy travel to reach Siem Reap in Cambodia.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh my heavens, Max. To all of the above. Was I the only one to ask the flip flop question? much love, ma

Max said...

Yes on the flip flops.

Countries: Tack on Switzerland, El Salvador, Ecuador, Greece, Scotland, New Zealand, Israel and Wales(if Wales counts, not sure).